The world's first tribute event for Syd Barrett will take place in his home town this year
The City Wakes tribute will be held between October 22nd and November 1st 2008 in his home town of Cambridge
1. Concert performances presenting fresh interpretations of Syd’s greatest songs.
2. Directed by award-winning musician and composer, Simon Gunton, the production will showcase specially-created video art and stunning Floyd-esque lighting displays and will culminate in a one-off gala performance of the concert.
3. An exhibition of Syd Barrett paintings including many never seen before works, displayed alongside extremely rare Syd Barrett related memorabilia, original pieces from Pink Floyd’s legendary designer Storm Thorgerson, and archival photos from world-famous photographer Mick Rock.
4. A series of talks and book signings at Borders books in Cambridge City Centre by the likes of Storm Thorgerson and Mick Rock.
5. A new book of interviews and memorabilia, based on the memories and collections of Syd's friends and family. Focussing on Syd's early life and the exciting Cambridge cultural scene in which he was such a key figure, the book includes interviews, photos, drawings and letters that have never been seen in print before.
6. Special guided tours for fans of all the major Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd-related historic sites in Cambridge.
7. Music workshops under the expert eye of The City Wakes Musical Director, Simon Gunton offering members of the public the opportunity to explore the surreal genius behind Syd’s wonderfully unorthodox music and lyrics.8. Storm Thorgerson’s first ever solo exhibition in Cambridge. Mind Over Matter: Images of Pink Floyd will contain photographs of over 60 of Storm’s Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett related works.
Syd’s sister Rosemary Breen:
‘I am thrilled to be involved in this project. Syd, my brother, was someone for whom creativity was as necessary as breathing. His music and painting were such an integral part of his being that without them he couldn’t function.’More detials here