Sunday, June 1, 2008

Buddy Guy to Release New Album "Skin Deep" July 2 2008

Image:Buddy-Guy-jv04.jpg

Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix have claimed to Buddy Guy as their prime inspiration.

Despite this he is pretty humble

"A lot of guitar players won't be honest with you about, 'I did this, I did that. You look at me.' I'll tell you the truth: I didn't do nothing. Everything you see me do, I got it from somebody else, any award I ever achieved in my life, including being inducted into the Hall of Fame, belongs to someone like [Guitar] Slim or Lonnie Johnson."

For the first time in his long history he will release an album of completely new material, Skin Deep, idue for release July 22, 2008

"I just want it to be a surprise, because it's 100 percent new material, Im not redoing anybody's old stuff."

At nearly 72 he sees this as a critical album in his career

"I've been trying to record it since I first started picking up a guitar, I haven't felt this good about a CD in a long time."

In a recent interview in Atlanta he recalls the first time he heard BB King and Guitar Slim:

"When they introduced B.B. King, he pops out on the stage and picks up his guitar and starts playing these beautiful notes. When they introduced Guitar Slim, he came in the door on the shoulders of another man with a 150-foot , and I said to myself, 'I want to play like B.B. King and act like Guitar Slim"

Buddy also recalls first meeting Eric and Jimmy Page:

"When I first met Jimmy and Eric, they told me they didn't know about the Stratocaster because they didn't know it could play blues, they thought the Stratocaster was just made to play country and western."

Image: Courtesy Vanguard

No comments: