Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rock Revival's Forgotten Classics (1972) NEU

http://msp105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/privateer000/Neu_albumcover.jpg

Here is another post on a classic Krautrock album, this time by Neu ! from 1972.

Neu! were actually an off-shoot of Kraftwerk, one of the most important Krautrock bands that ever was, in particular for their role in setting the stage for popular electronic music that was to come.

Neu! was no different, with this debut having a massive influence on the likes of Brian Eno, David Bowie and Thom Yorke from Radiohead.

The famous 'motorik' beat is clear on two tracks, a sound that is repetitive and forward moving, driving music (but certainly not like The Doobie Brothers)

Having said all this I noticed this comment on rateyourmusic:

'Besides "Hallogallo" and "Negativland" this album is worthless to me but I want to buy it so people will think I'm cool and possibly fuck me.' (here)

Make up your own mind !

1 comment:

The Ripple Effect said...

I'm digging your Krautrock posts. It's an era I've been meaning to explore for a while.

Could you make your top ten recommendations on essential Krautrock albums to buy?

Racer
The Ripple Effect
www.ripplemusic.blogspot.com