Being a pompous arse, of course is an essential ingredient of the rock star, taken up by Spinal Tap, but an oh-so-real part of the best rockers character (Aerosmith famously thought the movie was a documentary!)
You can achieve it in so mant ways: by orchestrating your favourite song (Metallica), by singing about wizards and trolls (Uriah Heep), by talking about saving the planet (Bone-O), by pretending to be a classical group (Apocalyptica), by holding a bed-in in a very expensive hotel (Saint Lennon), by being a UN ambassador (Courteny Love, well maybe not...), by playing the loudest song ever (Manowar), by painting a green stripe on your face (Michael Stipe), by saying your the 7th best band in the world (the god-awful Coldplay)
Rest assured though,pomposity is not a dirty word !
1. Bohemian Rhapsody- Iron maiden Version with full Operatic back-up
2. Fanfare for the Common Man- Emerson, Lake and Palmer
3. The Gods made Heavy Metal: Manowar
4. Anything by Falconer or Demons and Wizards
5. Strange Kind of Woman (from Made in Japan): Deep Purple
6. The Wind Beneath My Wings: Sonata Artica
7. Bono !
8. Imagine: John Lennon
9. We Dont Need Another Hero Northern Kings
10. Freebird: Lynyrd Skynyrd