Ok, stokieboy from Rock and Roll Oatcake, a great website has come up with a brilliant idea of asking fellow bloggers to put together a bunch of hypothestical mix tapes. For those of you under 40 they were c90 cassettes we used to make before ipod playlists.
The aim was always to impress, or rather show off with obscure stuff noone else have heard of; so in this spirit I present the Ultimate Avante-Garde Chillout Mix Tape
1. Wind on Water Brian Eno
2. Excellent Birds Laurie Anderson
3. Different Trains Steve Reich
4. Happy Cycling Boards of Canada
5. Peach, Plum, Pear Joanna Newsom
6. River of Sorrow Antony and the Johnsons
7. Ikos Arvo Part
8. Cut Up Piano and Xylophones Fridge
9. Raising the Titanic Gavin Bryars
10. Bringing Down the Light David Sylvian and Robert Fripp
11. Mentalism Shpongle
12. Hamburger Lady Throbbing Gristle
The Rationale: Real chillout mixes are annoying ? Sometimes you need a downer from the upside of rock ? I'm curious about what people can do with sounds ? When your obsessed with music you have yo go to extremes sometimes to get a hit ? Tracks 7 and 9 really are quite beautiful ? Tracks 5. and 6. cut right thru to the emotions ? Eno and Fripp, well no ? needed. 3. might be classical but its pretty hypnotic ? Is it OK to love music generally not just rock ?
This was fun, I'll do some more very soon....