Dick’s Pick’s are a series of 36 live recordings of the Grateful Dead, named after tape vault archivist, Dick Latvala and released in the 1990’s.
This series is no longer available but has been replaced by a series aptly named “Road Trips”. This series aims to differ from Dick’s Pick’s in two respects. Firstly, it collates highlights from a specific period in the life of the band, rather than presenting complete shows. Secondly, the quality is far superior to Dick’s Pick’s, which were based on limited two-track recordings.
The first Edition of Road Trips was released in 2007, Road Trips, Vol 1, No. 1, Fall ’79. It documented the addition of keyboardist and vocalist Brent Myland to the band, a catalyst to more energised playing.
The second, Road Trip, Volume 1 no. 2 (October 1977) was released in March 2008.
This volume captures the band peaking due to the Grateful Dead Movie and the release of Terrapin Station
Road Trips Volume One, Number 3 is now due to be released 30 June 2008.
Disc One is taken from the famous show at the Yale Bowl in New Haven, Connecticut, July 31, 1971. Disc Two is from the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago about three weeks later. Also included with initial orders is 1 third bonus disc with "...still more rarities from that ’71 tour, including the 8/4/71 show at Terminal Island correctional facility in Southern California.
Disc 1: 7/31/71 Yale Bowl, New Haven CT
1. Big Railroad Blues
2. Hard To Handle
3. Me and Bobby McGee
4. Dark Star>
5. Bird Song
6. Not Fade Away>
7. Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad
8. Not Fade Away
9. Uncle John's Band>
10. Johnny B. Goode
Disc 2: 8/23/71 Auditorium Theater, Chicago IL
1. China Cat Sunflower>
2. I Know You Rider
5. Cryptical Envelopment>
6. The Other One>
7. Me and My Uncle>
8. The Other One>
9. Cryptical Envelopment>
10. Wharf Rat
11. Sugar Magnolia
1. Bertha (8/6/71 Hollywood Palladium)
2. Mr. Charlie (8/6/71 Hollywood Palladium)
3. Cumberland Blues (8/6/71 Hollywood Palladium)
4. Brokedown Palace (8/6/71 Hollywood Palladium)
5. Hard To Handle (8/6/71 Hollywood Palladium)
6. Sing Me Back Home (7/31/71 Yale Bowl)
7. Big Boss Man (7/31/71 Yale Bowl)
8. Not Fade Away> (8/4/71 Terminal Island)
9. Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad (8/4/71 Terminal Island)
10. Turn On Your Lovelight (8/4/71 Terminal Island)
Images: Courtesy Grateful Dead