The Sunset Strip in Hollywood is one of the most important icons of rock history:
1. It was the center of the hippy movement in the late 60's, LA's Haight-Ashbury, the site of the famous riot that ensued when LA's civic leaders tried to disband them, to the sound of garage punk by the Standells, the Chocolate Watch Band, and the Enemies. 'For What It's Worth' by Buffalo Springfield is based on these events
2. It was the street that broke the Doors at the Whiskey a Go-Go; they were the house band who created a storm every night playing The End
3. John Belushi ate his last meal of Lentil Soup at the Sunset Strip club, Rainbow Bar & Grill before he went back home and overdosed.
4. Bruce Springsteen gave a breakthrough show there in 1975.
5. Van Halen started on the Strip before they were noticed by Gene Simmons of KISS
Well, the Strip now has its own festival, The Sunset Strip Music Festival, to be held June 26-28, 2008
Hot Hot Heat, Louis XIV, Juliette and The Licks, the 88, Dilated Peoples, Godhead and B Real of Cypress Hill are all confirmed
Venues include the Roxy Theatre, the Whiskey A-Go-Go, House of Blues, Viper Room and the Cat Club.