Saturday, January 19, 2008

Hot and Nasty: Who Loves Black Oak Arkansas ?

Man, I love Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers but take it or leave it, the ultimate Southern Rock band for me has to be Black Oak Arkansas; the Southern boogie majesty of Back Door Man, the raunchy Wild Man From The Mountains, Ramblin Gamblin Man, the faux history of Diggin For Gold: they all conjur up an image of the mythological South, a place where Jim "Dandy" Magnum, mysoginist or not, is someone that we all want to be (at least on weekends). It's also someone David Lee Roth actually wanted to be; Jim Dandy being David's James Brown to Mick Jagger. Maybe I don't want to be him after all.

I recently had a look on their my space page, they are still together and touring, looking abit worst for wear, I have to say (but who is'nt). There are also rumours that they have a new album due out in 2008, that I am trying very hard to substantiate. If you have heard anything and can quote a source, let me know a.s.a.p. I am not saying, however, that we should neccesarily celebrate this fact if they have; there is something a bit sad about reunions, especially when their heyday was more than 30 years ago and based heavily on their virility and work with the ladies. Still, we can only dream.......................

Image: Courtesy ATCO

1 comment:

The Ripple Effect said...

gotta love it. Glad I'm not the only one who remembers these guys. Great stuff!