Thanx to Robert Johnson and Timothy Leary there has been a healthy stain of protodelic sludge snaking it's ugly way through the history of rock ever since Blue Cheer screwed up Summertime Blues and Satisfaction.
From Steppenwolf to Alice in Chains, Hawkwind to Electric Wizard, Grace Slick to Doom, it's been the fuzzy bassline of rock, keeping everything else in check, making sure that the Eagles don't release another album....
Look at the connections, for example, between Electric Wizard and Blind Faith, thanks to the incredible rock genome site bandtoband
Here are ten tracks that say it all
1. Here Comes the Rooster: Alice in Chains
2. Heroin: Velvet Underground
3. Aeroplane headed Woman: Pete Brown and Piblokto
4. Black Butter: Strawberry Alarm Clock
5. Darkly Smiling: Grace Slick and the Great Society
6. Death Valley Blues: Black Cat Bones
7. Ear in the Snow: Atomic Rooster
8. Teenage head: The Flaming Groovies
9. No Quarter: Page and Plant
10. Peace Lovin man: Blossom Toes